Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)

Energy bill payment assistance.

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a utility payment program that can offer income-eligible residents of Sacramento, Sutter, and Yuba Counties a credit to their utility bill.  HEAP is available for customers of PG&E, SMUD, or those who heat their home using wood, propane, or oil purchased from a vendor.  Along with the utility credit, clients will also receive valuable information about energy conservation and practical tips on how to save energy and keep your utility bill at a manageable level.

Priority for HEAP services this year are given to applicants that meet the following criteria. 

  • Income qualified
  • Have a high energy burden
  • Has a resident in the household that is part of a vulnerable population (i.e. seniors over 60 years of age, disable persons, and children under 5 years of age)

The amount of HEAP assistance is calculated based on household size, household income and the percentage of income spent on energy bills, known as the energy burden.

Other factors considered include funding availability and the cost of energy within the county where the household resides. HEAP provides one payment, ranging from $184-$306 every 12 months.

Since HEAP is an assistance program, HEAP will only credit one utility company and that credit will take 8-12 weeks to appear on your utility bill.  If you receive a HEAP credit, you are still responsible for paying your utility bill while the credit is being processed.

Residents of Sacramento County can call (916) 567-5200. Business hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30a.m. - 12:00p.m. and 1:00p.m. - 3:00 p.m. 

Residents of Sutter and Yuba Counties should call (530) 671-7590. Business hours for Sutter and Yuba Counties are Mondays and Wednesdays from 8:00a.m. - 12:00p.m. and 1:00p.m. - 3:00p.m.

Utility Assistance 2022 Income Guidelines

Number of Persons in Household Monthly Income Up To
1 $2,564.73
2 $3,353.87
3 $4,143.02
4 $4,932.17
5 $5,423.19
6 $6,510.46
7 $6,658.43
8 $6,806.39
9 $6,954.36
10 $7,102.32

How to Apply

To apply for the energy bill payment, you must fill it out online. If you have a printed application, you must mail to the county office you reside in. If you have a hardship that prevents you from filling out the application online, you can call 916-567-5200 for more information.

For Sacramento residents, send to: 

Community Resource Project, Inc. – HEAP, 250 Harris Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95838 or Fax to (916) 970-2147

For Sutter and Yuba County residents, send to:

Community Resource Project, Inc. – HEAP, 201 D St, Suite Q, Marysville CA 95901

Please provide the following information with your application.

  1. Copies of all sources of income from everyone residing in your home for the last 6 weeks.
  2. Copies of your current utility statement from SMUD, PG&E, Propane, Oil and Wood bills.
  3. Both Social Security card and a State-issued identification for all adults in the household.
  4. Rental agreement or a receipt, or a mortgage statement. If you receive Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8), HUD or low income Housing, you must provide a current statement showing the rent amount, utility allowance and reimbursement payment. You will find this information on your calculation summary page or HUD-50059 form when you do a yearly certification with these programs.  


Contact Us

(916) 567-5200
(916) 970-2147 FAX

(530) 671-7590

Monday - Friday
7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.